Sunday, September 3, 2017

Day 9. Im outta here!

Its day 9 and I am bustin outta here!  I have never been more relaxed and happy to be going home in my life.  Usually on vacation or my trips to Guatemala, I dont wanna come home.  I am going to the airport an extra hour early because I need somewhere with food and no bugs.

I spent most of the morning in the daycare talking with Miss Julia and Miss Elisa.  Miss Elisa didnt want me to leave and kept asking when I would be back.  I felt bad leaving the kids.  Jaylan was super sick and all he wanted was to lay on me and play with my hair.  When I had to put him down to leave he cried so hard I could hear him across the compound.  Some of the kids were sad I was leaving, and some of them were probably excited (since I made them listen and behave and wouldnt give them my things).  Obama and Sarah just held onto me and told me I couldnt leave unless I was taking them with me.

Got to the airport 3 hours before departure, got a few gifts, and made my way to security.  The first lady rudely told me I needed an immigration form.  That would have been nice to know so I could have had it ready...back to the ticket area I go.  Fill it out, and customs doesnt even ask a question and lets me through.  Get to security and tell them I have to walk around and cant go through the metal detector because I have an implantable heart device and they tell me they dont care.  I show them my medical card stating I cant go through and they still dont care, they want a doctors note.  I explain Ive never had a doctors note, thats what the medtronic card is for and they still refuse.  I asked for a supervisor and when she came out she was just as rude until I pulled up the US embassy number in my phone.  They finally let me through, but not without a very hands on frisking when I was wearing a t shirt dress and sandals.  You could clearly see I was not hiding a thing.  I got out of there and sat down and just cried.  At such a time of happiness ready to go home, they had to cause so much anxiety and make me feel even more horrible that I have a heart issue at 30 years old.  Some lady came over and assured me we would be getting back in America soon and to take a deep breath.  I went and got some rainbow chip cookies and ritz with cheese and devoured them.  American food never tasted so good.

About 20 minutes after we were supposed to board they came on the speaker and said we were on lockdown because of lightening.  So we sat and waited.  I started to get really anxious that I would miss my flight in Atlanta because I had just under 2 hours to make it.  We got on and made up 15 minutes in the air.  The flight attendant was amazing.  Our plane at one point was sideways, dropping, shaking to get through the rain from Hurricane Harvey and he just kept topping off my wine and assuring me we would get to Atlanta safely after that.

Got to Atlanta and made it through real quick and then the agent came on and said our flight attendants were running late coming in from Cincy so we had to wait for them.  Finally made it home after 12.5 hours of traveling and I was never more excited to get in my shower and sleep in my bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment