Day 8. What an
amazing day!
Got up bright and early to catch the bus into town. I got halfway to the bus (about half a mile)
and realized I forgot my go pro. These
buses are quite the treat….they are buses that are unsafe to be in America, and
by unsafe I mean they are literally falling apart. They then ship them down here to use, and
they use them until they run dead. Ours
broke down half way there, so then I had anxiety about making my excursion on
time. Finally got on a new one and got
to the bus stop, and there were no taxis.
So I remembered how the taxis would take me and I walked. I encountered a lot of homeless people, but
as long as I looked them in the eyes and said hello they didn’t bother me.
Got on the bus and the tour guides were awesome!! I was the only one doing the zipline, and
they were amazing!!! Two of them I didn’t make it down because I didn’t weigh
enough and had to climb down the line.
Then we started the cave kayaking.
It was a one on one tour because the other people cancelled and it was
so amazing. Fabulous took me into an
extra cave system because we were kayaking, and it was so cool. We got to see so much more than those cave
tubing because we could navigate into the systems. During the middle of kayaking it began to
rain and then we went to a waterfall.
This was the cleanest I have felt in a week. The water was so fresh.
We took the bus ride back to the cruise terminal and I got a
visitor pass to go in and shop. I guess
I wasn’t supposed to buy anything because I got caught and interrogated by
customs. They finally let me go with the
four things I bought because they learned all about me and thought that what I
do is a great thing. Thank god for being
a good citizen. He even gave me his cell
phone number and name in case I needed help here.
I got back to the orphanage and went to the daycare. The little kids and I had a ball. I got to wake them all up from their naps and
they were so excited to see me. It was
so cute. After they woke up, we read
like 10 books, the same 10 that we have read all week, but they still love
it.
After I went and sat with Keisha who is my favorite
girl. We played with snapchat filters
and talked for awile. I love this
girl. She turned 11 the day before I got
here. Her family is from the states but
she was born here in Belize. I don’t know
much more about her story, but she gets bullied and teased a lot here.
Then Obama came over and told me I was the bestest and he
never wanted me to go. I promised him if
there is a way I can adopt him and bring him to the states that I surely
would. He is such a pleasant polite
young man.
I had 1:1 time with the kids I like the most and who have
respected me being here. It was a great
evening but I am ready to come home.
You don’t realize that when you are so far away from your
comfort zone, completely alone, with no local support, how vulnerable you can
be. This trip has tested my strength.
No comments:
Post a Comment