Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Day 1

Day 1.    

Well, the day started out at 3am with a lovely trip to the airport with my mom.  Of course, no one was working even though they tell you to get to the airport 3 hours early for international flights (I got there 1.75 hours early and they still weren’t there).  So the anxiety set in, wondering if I was going to make it.  Since I have the lovely TSA pre-check I went right through security.  First flight was fine to Atlanta!  When we boarded in Atlanta to Belize, we were greeted with a mimosa as soon as we walked on the plane, and then a wonderful lunch.  Upon crossing over the ocean we decided we wanted to fly through a tropical storm, called Harvey!  It was the WORST plane ride ever.  Thank god for the mimosa calming effect otherwise I may have had issues! 

The Belize airport is the sketchiest airport ever (and someone ruined my good hot pink suitcase-cracked the whole thing).  They didn’t even ask me any questions, look at me or anything, just stamped my passport and let me go. Upon exiting, we were greeted by many scary looking men who happened to be taxi drivers.  I had just watched Snatched with Goldie Hawn and Amy Schummer on my way down here, so I thought they were going to abduct me and hold me ransom.  Thankfully, I found my guide and we made our way to the orphanage.  After stepping outside I thought I was going to melt, it is hotter than Hades here.  I sat in the sun to drink my coca cola and access the internet (wifi only works right by the router), and my clothes were soaked like I had been in a swimming pool.  Thankfully I have olive toned skin and didn’t burn one bit, but I’m a whole shade darker already, can’t imagine what 2.5 weeks is going to do. 

At the orphanage, I was greeted with open arms by many of the children, and insects/animals.  Lizards everywhere, insects constantly feasting on your legs/feet, and emaciated dogs everywhere, and even a scorpion in our dorm.   There are over 40 children here, including a set of twins.  I have quickly picked up on some of the personalities.  I offered to help washes dishes and one of the girls gladly gave the task up.  Her caregiver came into the kitchen and laid into me for washing the dishes because it was her punishment because her favorite words are, “I don’t care.”  So, needless to say I can’t help as much as I want because a fair amount of them are in punishment daily, and that is the punishment, chores. 

I ventured down the block to the corner store to gather some drinking water, since the drinking water here would wreck havoc on my gut.  The ladies were so lovely and we had a wonderful conversation.  Two purified gallons of water and a glass bottled coca cola was only $3.00!  In the US it would be almost $10!  (There is an ice cream shop right next door!!!!!).


Well, I have been up for a long time now and all the kids are in bed, so its time for some reading, devotions, and bed!  Thanks for the prayers and positive wishes, I feel like I am going to need it in about a week.      

No comments:

Post a Comment