Well, I only got up 3 times last night instead of 5-6. I had a hard time falling asleep last night even after taking a Xanax (thank god I asked my doctor for some in case of an emergency) and a melatonin. I read for awile and then decided to just play some Christian music and I finally fell asleep. I woke up at 2 am really itchy so I had to get up, reapply my regimen and re-light some mosquito coils (they let off a smelly smoke the mosquitoes don’t like).
I started off the day in the daycare as always hanging out with the little ones. My little buddy Isis was right on my side from the time I walked in until I left. There were some new kids at the daycare today that I got to meet. One was a little baby Josiah who was so tired this morning he fell asleep in my arms and just snuggled me (which is hard when it feels like 118 with heat index). Jaylan came in with antibiotics and his mom was asking me all kinds of medical questions (you can never escape it).
In the morning I decided to bring out my snacks that I had packed for the kids. Out of 26 of them, only one said thank you. Not that I need a thank you, but its sad to see they are not taught respect. Since I have been here, I have seen a difference in some of them. When they go to hit one another and I am around I will grab their hand, move them away from the situation and they have to make one circle around the center of the complex and come back and say sorry. If they say a mean thing to someone they have to then come up with 3 positives to say. Their typical punishment is to write sentences if they do something wrong. That really doesn’t teach them much in my opinion. Half the time they don’t do them and don’t get in trouble anyways. If you make them practice something, it will become routine eventually
It is interesting that for 40+ kids they only have two caregivers working at any given time.
This afternoon I spent some time with a Latino girl. After talking about some things Guatemala got brought up and she informed me that she used to live at the state orphanage but her dorm set fire and they closed the orphanage down. She was let loose and when trying to find her way ended up crossing the border into Belize by hiding in a truck to try and get to a bus station. How ironic that she has that involvement with Guatemala that I even did. We spent 3 hours talking with one another.
Tomorrow I head to do some cave kayaking and zip lining. I am very excited for this!
No comments:
Post a Comment