Thursday, August 24, 2017

Day 2. Tears at the Heart Strings.

Day 2.

I turned the lights out a little before 9 pm (which is 11pm Michigan time) and struggled to fall asleep.  I kept thinking bugs were crawling on me and that the geckos were in my bed.  I learned this morning that the geckos do not crawl on you they just eat the bugs in your room….lovely.  I’m not going to lie, the living arrangements are tough.  I do not need air conditioning since I rarely have it on at my home, however when I feel like I just got out of the shower constantly, it makes for rough sleeping conditions when you are not used to it. 

The mosquitos have gotten my ankles and my butt (through clothes, I was not streaking at any time).  The welts they leave are even bigger than the ones in Guatemala, fingers crossed I don’t come home with Dengue fever or Zika again.

The morning started out with the daycare.  The little kids just made a circle around me and we rolled the ball back and forth a million times.  They want nothing to do with their caregiver when there is a volunteer here.  One little girl Isis has stolen my heart.  She is so sweet and tries to include me in everything, even the sharing of her bbq mangoes (YUCK). 

I then helped the older kids with their school work.  Even though it is summer, they have to do either math, spelling, or writing daily for 1.5 hours in the morning before they can play.  Then they have reading time.  It is apparent that education is not a strong focus here in Belize.  My old teaching ways came out and some of the kids started to do really well on their work. 

What I found sad is that the older boys here that are 16-18 can go off grounds, but the females cannot because they fear they will become pregnant.  When in the daycare, many of the female residents come in there and play mom with many of the kids.  What they don’t realize is that even though it is cute to hold the babies, there is a whole lot of responsibility that comes along with keeping the child as yours 24/7.  There is a strong lack of education about children and responsibility here. 

For lunch we had a scoop of rice and black beans, and a mini chicken leg (and when I say mini, it was smaller than a premature babys’ leg).

The afternoon is too hot for me to be out in the direct sunlight so I usually choose to lay down and read or relax until the sun goes behind the clouds or away. 

Decided to walk to the supermarket to check out the area and know where I need to take the bus next week so I can go on my tours.  Worst decision ever.  I had to stop multiple times and sit down because I could feel my heart racing.  Never again will I walk anywhere between 3-4 in the afternoon.

I spent most of the afternoon with some of the younger girls.  Many they are sassy as all get out.  Then I spent some time with a girl who is going to turn 18 soon.  She shared with me that her parents are dead because they sold drugs and got involved in the wrong crowd.  Her two siblings were adopted up in Iowa and she has another brother and sister at two other orphanages here.  Her dreams were to become a midwife because she wanted to be the first one to bring a baby into the world.  I shared with her what happens in a delivery and as soon as she heard blood and cerumen she was disgusted and wants to stick with becoming a singer.  To hear her story just broke my heart.  We prayed that she will be able to come to the states and have an opportunity that most do not have. 

Dinner was a little sausage, bread, and beans.  The food is a struggle for me.  However, its temporary.  I am blessed and get to come home where the food is such a variety.  For now I will take the periods of feeling hungry because the food just does not fill me up, and to be honest I miss my vegetables!


I booked a trip for next weekend to Ambergris Caye which is an island off Belize.  It takes about 75 minutes to get there by water taxi and then I will be staying at a resort on the beach, kind of like when I go to Caulker after my trip but this is more populated.  After only being here two days, I can say I am looking forward to a warm shower.  Cold showers just don’t do it for me, even if it is 95 degrees.   

No comments:

Post a Comment